<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, June 18, 2006

A hibernating blog returns to life 

Music I'm listening to right now: Josh Ritter, The Animal Years

When I first created this blog two years ago, I high hopes that it would be the place where I could post all my stray thoughts on pretty much everything. Unfortunately life intervened, and I became too ill to blog. But I'm on the mend now, so I'm going to attempt to start blogging again. (This, BTW, is not my first blog. I've lost track of how many I've deleted. But I do have two currently. The other one is listed with the links.)

Among the posts I'll be making are my numerous Letters to the Editor, my many pet peeves, and my interests, which include in no particular order (and are not limited to):

The Constitution
Civil Rights
The Economy
U.S. Foreign Policy
Tax Fairness
Health Care
The Global HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Africa
Indigenous Peoples
The Global Commons
The Environment
Fair Trade vs. IMF/World Bank
Politics and Policy
The Military-Industrial-Intelligence Complex
and that pesky Black Budget
Cronyism
Religion & Mythology
Several Local ND Issues
And, as you can see from the above, music

My experience ranges from Human Resources to Marketing to Manufacturing Operations Management (for a government contractor back in the days when contractors still followed the rules), and in economic development public policy. My degrees are in pre-med, marine and vertebrate zoology, and journalism, with a hearty dose of economics. I also studied for the Episcopal priesthood for three years. I also used to be a dancer, so dance and dance imagery may pop up from time to time too. And music will be a constant theme as it has kept me sane through the ups and downs of my rather unusual life. (You will hear more about that anon.)

I'm disabled retired now, but I am using this time as opportunity to pursue my desire to examine the behavioral basis for the inequities of "western" society. I refer to myself as an evolutionary anthropologist. You can see now why I refer to short attention spans, it's a hazard when you are concerned about as many issues as I am.

There is a positive side to this, however. I see big puzzles, and take all these bits of information like puzzle pieces and fit them into the big picture. I've made a lot of progress, for example, in creating a possible picture for the reasons why human cognition evolved as it did, and why we focus all our energies on war. (Which is the root of the said inequities.) So many scientists, historians, economists, archeologists, palenontologists, primatologists, and other anthropologists have found invaluable puzzle pieces. And I hope to be one of a few people with the ability to take those pieces and put them into the puzzle.

As for road trips, I love real road trips too. I don't make them as often I used to since I became disabled, but whenever I need to imagine myself anywhere but here, I envision myself out on the road, preferably travelling one the many scenic highways in North America: The Trans-Canada through the Rockies in Alberta and BC, the Needles Highway in The Black Hills, Loveland Pass, WA Rt. 2 through the Cascades, Going-to-the-Sun Road, Death Valley Highway, Oglalah to Scotts Bluff NE, the Badlands of both Dakotas, the Outer Banks, Old Rt. 66 in Missouri, and U.S. Rt. 6 from the Sagamore Bridge to Provincetown, to name a few favorites. I also Revisit Highway 61 regularly. (Both in real life and in my mind.) If ever there was a road that deserved its own music album it's Highway 61.

Luckily I live near a wonderful scenic road, Kathryn to Fort Ransom, North Dakota. But when I really need comfort mind food, I take myself home across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge down U.S. Rt. 50 to Easton, Maryland. Not like it is today, but the way it was when I was growing up there in the 1970s. Chesapeake water will always run through these veins, even if I had to remove myself to North Dakota to find a world that resembles the world where I grew up. (Surprisingly, it does more than most would think. Although I do get teased about being the town "Southerner.")

That's enough of an intro, I think. The joy of learning about others is letting their interests reveal themselves to us over time. So I hope that applies to anyone who passes this way. Please share your links so the revealing is not a one-way street.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?